I’m back at work after two days off to help W recuperate from his circumcision. My poor little boy. I had some moments of self doubt. Were we doing the right thing? Would he hate us for the pain? Would something terrible happen to him during this mostly cosmetic surgery?
To review – We had decided to circumcise before going in for delivery. The OB told us she wouldn’t do it because of the twisted parts. The pediatrician told us about the problem and that it wouldn’t be a big deal and recommended a urologist for the surgery once W got older. I went in to see him at about 4 weeks old. The line on the back of W’s penis was not straight. It went up slightly crooked (let’s say it’s at 6 o’clock) and then veered off to about 4 o’clock when it got to the head. From the bottom of the head to the top it went from 4 o’clock back to 9 o’clock. That part was the problem. Everything else was fine. He could function normally. The urologist told me that he would do the circumcision once W was 6 months old. We scheduled it for Nov 8th because W is a pretty big kid and we wanted him to be healed before the holidays.
We arrived at the hospital at 6:30 am. W was in a great mood. He smiled at the nurses and played with his sample breathing mask. The anesthesiologist gave him a sample one to play with so he wouldn’t be afraid when she gave him the real one. I thought that was a great idea. We were so worried that he’d cry because of the hunger, but he was just fine. After a little bit of prep, I carried him into the OR. The mask came out and he breathed in it for about a minute until he kind of went limp. He wasn’t asleep, but he was. Then I was sent out to the waiting room with M. I cried. The nurse said it would be about an hour.
90 minutes later, the doctor came into the waiting room and pulled up a chair. He got a piece of paper out and drew us a picture of a penis. Now, this was a stressful time and I still had to keep myself from giggling. So the picture showed everything he did and he wrote out care instructions in crazy neat handwriting. The picture showed stitches all around the head and stitches going up a little and down a little where he kind of re-aligned the line. It’s still not perfectly straight, which is fine with us. We weren’t looking for perfect. We just wanted mostly normal.
About 10 minutes after that, we were called back into the recovery room. W was already awake and was crying loudly. I ran to his room and was able to nurse him right away. That calmed him down! He had an IV in his neck (he’s too pudgy for them to be able to get a regular IV in there. They tried.) We went home with a prescription for Tylenol with codeine and a recommendation to buy lots of KY jelly.
The care is to wipe him as normal then cover the entire penis with KY jelly at every diaper change. He gets sponge baths until Thursday and then soaking for a week after that. He can’t be in the exersaucer or baby bjorn or bumpo or anything this kind of uses the crotch to support him.
His penis looks awful. It is swollen and purple with tons of tiny stitches. He has no idea. He is playing and laughing and being wonderful, just like normal. He seems to dread being on the changing table and gives a little cry when we wipe him down. He’s on standard Tylenol and we never used the strong stuff.
I got through my first surgery on my baby. The whole time I felt like running into the OR and taking him home and not circumcising him. But now I’m glad we did it and he won’t have to worry about this in the future. He’s back at daycare today and doing great. I’m glad that it’s over.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Aww, sorry about the physical pain for W and emotional pain for you! I'm glad everything went well!
I'm tearing up, thinking of the emotional pain you endured--especially when they said an hour and came out 90 minutes later. You're strong, and that's what he needs. Good for you!
Oh my goodness poor baby (& mommy)! That had to be so difficult! What a strong little man!
Oh, Gosh! I can hardly imagine! Waiting the 90 minutes must have been torture.
I'm glad it went so well and that he's feeling good! XOXO
I'm so glad that he's doing so much better! You're taking such good care of him!
Oh, poor baby! I'm so glad he seems to have weathered it fine. We had a similar situation -- my boy's circumcision was done right away, on Day 2. However, the dr who performed it either messed up or we jut got unlucky because scar tissue formed, despite the fact that we had been conscientious about wrapping and putting on vaseline. So he needed minor surgery to cut away the scar tissue - no anesthesia, which was good. However, it did hurt and we had to hold him down while the dr did his thing :(. Just about broke my heart but he recovered within a few minutes of snuggling and we're glad we did it.
How awful!!! Poor baby. When the nurse came and took V for his circumcision I cried for an hour nonstop. I couldn't imagine having to put him under and reconstruct his penis. I am sure he will thank you for doing it now so that he won't remember anything.
I'm about to start a post on this as we just went through it with our little guy yesterday and I was a hot mess. I cried as we stepped into the dr.'s office, I cried in the waiting area, I was just so upset at the thought of my lil' baby in any type of pain. I had a ton of doubt too, whether or not we were doing the right thing - he ended up doing great last night and the wound seems to be healing nicely - I am still scared to change him but with some help from DH, I am getting over the fact that it is so swollen and painful looking. What a trooper our babies are!
Such a hard, hard day for all of you! Glad all are well!
I know it's different...but as a mom who put her daughter through surgery (and we had been her parents about 8 months at that point)...I "get" a lot of what you're saying.
It can be very hard to look at their little bodies as they heal even if we know it's for the best. I'm here if you need to talk.
Awww poor little guy. I'm so happy to hear he did so good. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I cried when I got Kailyn's ears pierced. It is better now than later, though. And Mommies can make everything better at this age. ;-)
Post a Comment