Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My first day back

This isn't really a commentary. More of a timeline.

3:40 am – Hear W sucking his fingers. Hope he falls back to sleep (and he does).
5:15 – Hear W sucking his fingers. Hope he wakes up soon (and he doesn’t).
5:40 – M wakes up and gets ready for work.
5:41 – Remember that today is back to work day. Try not to cry already.
6:10 – Get out of bed and have breakfast. Watch W roll around a little on monitor.
6:20 – Realize frozen milk bags did not thaw in fridge overnight. Panic.
6:21 – Put bags in cold water. They thaw in minutes. Unpanic.
6:30 – Get W’s lunch bag packed and kitchen cleaned up.
6:50 – W wakes up, change his diaper and wash his face. Cry a little on him.
6:59 – Feed W. Inspect his crevices to make sure he won’t be the dirty kid at daycare.
7:13 – W gives me the pouty lip, so I know he’s full. I cry a little because I won’t be nursing him until the evening.
7:15 – Pump and pack up that pumping bag. Pray I’m not forgetting anything.
7:30 – Shower and dressed.
7:45 – Get W dressed and ready. Try to get him to smile at me (unsuccessful) and cry.
7:50 – Pack up W and the car. W cries when I put him in the carseat, but giggles while I put on my shoes. I cry.
8:03 – Arrive at daycare. Keep calm.
8:05 – Take W out of carseat. Consider putting him back in and fleeing.
8:07 – Cry while trying to give ladies instructions. They already know all this stuff.
8:13 – Hug and kiss W. Cry.
8:14 – Give daycare more money than I will make this week.
8:20 – Get in car and cry. Call M. Cry.
8:30 – Arrive at work. Smile at coworkers. Don’t talk so I won’t cry.
8:31 – Set up pictures of W.
8:32 – Cry.
9:30 – Coworker asks what W is doing during the day. I cry.
10:00 – Call daycare. W is happy and finished his bottle.
10:10 – First pumping session. Success. No one walked in on me.
10:40 – Cry a little.
11:30 – Have to get a new tissue for a big cry.
12:49 pm – My chest hurts.
1:00 – Second pump and lunch. Pumping is making me sore.
2:20 – Count how many minutes left (190).
2:26 – Talk to M. Try not to cry. Fail.
2:31 – Stare at baby pictures.
2:52 – Call daycare. W liked the swing.
2:55 – Sit in desk chair and cry a little.
3:38 – Jealous of M who has already left work.
4:00 - Begin to wonder if W and M made it home ok.
4:03 - Last pumping session. I'm sore-er than before. Very happy I remembered to pack the Lansinoh!
4:28 - Call home and text M to see if they are home.
4:31 - M calls. They are home and happy. He gives me the rundown on W's pee and poop.
4:32 - Wish I was home.
5:21 - Daydream about going home.
5:27 - I think this day can be over. Pack up and leave. Hope I remember the milk in the fridge!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Awe I can't even imagine how hard today was for you! You did awesome! I hope it gets easier soon. Praying for you.

Amber said...

Im having to go back next week and Im dreading it for sure. Hopefully it will get easier

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

This just breaks my heart - you are a trooper! I fear this!

StephaE said...

I am so sorry! :( BUT you are doing soooo good!!!

Kailyn's Mommy said...

You did great! It is so hard at first. I have a GREAT book I am reading right now called Milk Memos. My BF bought it for me right before I went back to work. I read a little every time I pump at work. You are lucky you are able to pump so much. I only get to at 12pm and then 4pm. ( i also pump about 8:20am right before i leave)
Did you pump at all while on maternity leave?? Just wondering since you said you were getting sore. Also I had to order small breast shields for my pump because the standard one's that come with it (sz 24mm) were too big and hurting me. The smalls (21mm) fit SO much better and I actually pump more milk with them too! Good luck the rest of the week.

Jill said...

Awww, I was pouting the whole time I read this. Sorry it was rough! I'm not looking forward to that day at all. Good luck with the rest of the week - you'll do great!

Kelli said...

Poor Cheryl! Hope that it gets easier as you go. Saying prayers for you. :)

Erin said...

Sorry, it has to be hard going through this.

Cape Girl said...

Oh!!! What a day! It must get easier, though, right??? You did great. I probably wouldn't have made it!