Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Zippers

I’m wearing pants that button and zip today. I’m not saying I’m in my skinny jeans or anything, but I’m getting there. 5 more pounds and I’ll be at my pre-pregnancy weight. 10 more pounds and I’ll be at my happy weight. Since we joke about the last 5 pounds being the hardest, M has told me I should shoot for 5 pounds less than my happy weight – I’m hoping his idea works!

I walked almost every morning on maternity leave. I started slow, but worked up to over an hour every day. If it was too hot or raining, I went to the mall and chugged around and prided myself on not eating anything from the food court (torture!!). I gained weight from my 2 week incision check to my 6 week check. The nurse asked me if I was breastfeeding. When I said yes she was surprised, “Oh? You gained weight.” Hahaha. Fantastic. I’ve read that nursing moms store fat in case of a famine. I guess that means we’ll get through the next round of potato blight.
Now I can’t walk as much because I have chores to do at night (washing bottles) and I want to spend as much time as possible cuddling. M is a fitness guy. He runs, he lifts weights, he doesn’t add salt to anything and won’t eat hamburger helper (you know the type). He tried to get me to do his exercises, but it didn’t work out. I thought it was boring and I wasn’t good at the “flex your muscles and make a tough face” part. So now I’m doing a post natal rescue DVD. It’s not awful. W watches me. It takes 15 minutes. I don’t know if it’s doing anything… I’m on the second step. I’ll let you know if I ever get to the third one.

I’m hoping a bunch of this weight is in my boobs. I KNOW some of it is in my stomach. I’ve got a little pot belly that is preventing me from getting into lots of my pants. My boobs are preventing me from getting into shirts. I had trouble with button-up shirts anyway. Now I have to stay away from those even more. I put one on this morning and I looked like I was trying to be some comic-book office girl all busting out. Hot? Nope.

12 comments:

Kailyn's Mommy said...

Well that is weird that you are BFing and gaining weight? Sorry you probably wanna smack me now! lol
But really I swear I think I lost all my weight from BFing! I haven't worked out one day yet. I do go for an evening walk with Kailyn about 5 days out of the week. But I also eat so much cause I'm ALWAYS hungry now!! More than when I was PG. Just this last month I lost 2 more pounds which now puts me 1 pound under my pre-pregnancy weight. So don't give up hope. Are you only BF'ing or supplementing also?

cheryllookingforward said...

I am exclusively breast feeding... I've lost weight since that appointment, but not like I would have hoped! And I'm not snacking or anything! Ugh!!!!!

I hope some of your good weight loss will rub off on the rest of us :)

Wendy said...

I'm sure everyone loses weight differently so don't despair! (pls tell me those words later this fall when I'm at the same stage to remind me!) - besides walking, are you also doing any mommy and me classes? I was thinking of doing a swimming or a stroller fit or baby boot camp type of class once I'm up for it - we'll see!

Gina said...

Sounds like great progress! Though I have to say, I prefer the maternity pants for their elastic comfiness! Why can't all pants be so comfy!;)

Cape Girl said...

That's awesome!!! I laughed about the working out with your husband. C has tried to get me to work out with him, too, but I feel the same way...boring!!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Darn, sounds like the pot bellies will be here a while...

Erin said...

Hehe, I also hated my big boobs. HATED. I have been counting calories and working out on the Bowflex. It is working well for me. I lost 10.5 pounds so far. Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding is tricky. Goodluck.

Laura said...

There's no rush, but I do wish you the best as you get back to your "happy weight" (I love that term, by the way). Are you into yoga at all? I found a yoga for weight loss DVD that I used for my wedding, and then as I was trying to be healthier so as to maintain a pregnancy. I love it, and look forward to using it again. Take care!

Dawn said...

Sorry you are struggling with your weight but I think you are doing a great job!! I'm sure you'll reach your happy weight before you know it.

LuckyOnce said...

I'm still about 5 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, and breastfeeding doesn't seem to be helping me either. Bummer. :( Remember when we all said that we would happily gain weight if it meant we could have a healthy baby? Well, it's back to bite us in the ass... lol

jill said...

5 pounds away is awesome! Try not to stress about it - just keep trying to get a little exercise every week and eat as healthy as you can :) Just like we all should for the rest of our lives.

I'm cheering over here for you wearing pants that button and zip!! yay!

Jessica said...

I just wanted to let you know I read your story on Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope. It was touching and gave me such hope that maybe I will one day have a child too! Thank you for sharing your story!