Tuesday, January 22, 2013

11 weeks and the NT scan

We had out NT scan this morning. It was different than the other ones I had. This one started with a meeting. We had already met with the genetic counselor in November so I thought this was some sort of follow up. It wasn't. It is standard practice at the hospital now. They actually explain exactly what they are looking for in the ultrasound. I learned a few new things. 

Then we headed in for the scan. I had a good feeling about this today, but that didn't stop my nerves. I hated the scanning of my ovaries and all those measurements where I could vaguely see a baby pass by on the screen. During one of the measurements I thought I saw the baby move, so I started to calm down a bit. After she started to focus on the baby, I just couldn't stop smiling. We saw a beautiful baby measuring 11 weeks, 5 days. It took a while for the baby to get in a good position so we got an extra long look and the baby kept moving. We saw hands and feet and that perfect heartbeat. The heart rate was 171 and I sometimes couldn't take my eyes off of that. 

We were able to clearly see a nasal bone and the fold measurement was within the normal range (I think it was 0.7 mm, but that's just based on what I saw on the screen). 

Because of this ultrasound, I'm going to revise my due date to August 10th, which is what the doctor has for me anyway. It reduces my confusion and gives me 3 extra days that I got to skip over! 

I feel so lucky and blessed today. It is starting to feel real. This could actually happen. M and I had some time in the ultrasound room while we waited for the official results. It was the first time we talked about some future for this baby. He is still adamant about having another C-section (I told him we needed to talk to the doctor about that). He said he wouldn't mind finding out if the baby is a boy or girl (we're not finding out). We talked about some changes we want to make to the nursery (we agree on that!). 

As for me, my terrible cold is winding down. I'm still coughing, but I haven't peed my pants in days. I was able to stay up late enough to watch the Ravens win on Sunday and then I stayed up past 9 pm yesterday to see the beautiful Mrs. Obama dance at one of the balls. 

I'm so happy today!


6 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! I'm happy for you! I have my scan next Monday and hope for similar good results. :)

Erica said...

Great news!!!!!

Elizabeth :: Bébé Suisse said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm so happy that you're happy, and August 10 sounds like a beautiful day to be born.

Jill said...

Good day! :)

someday-soon said...

Happy the scan went perfectly!!! You have such power to stay on team green...I wanted to know ASAP =)

Wendy said...

gah! so happy for you! and that's awesome to 'skip' 3 days ahead you keener! Hope you are feeling good (or soon will be as the 2T is around the corner) - so glad to be on this journey with you again!