Everything pregnancy related is going wonderfully. I did
have a moment last week when I thought the baby wasn’t moving as much, so I
laid down and it responded wonderfully with lots of wiggles and kicks.
I potty trained W over the weekend, starting with a day off
from work on Friday. I was pretty sure he would get it quickly, but I was
expecting a lot of resistance. He has always responded to “Do you have to go
potty” with a loud “NO!” and sometimes he’d shout it “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”
just so I would get the point. I never pushed it. Just hoped he’d potty train
himself, I guess.
Several of my internet friends successfully used the three-day bootcamp, so I decided to give it a try. I found a weekend where we didn’t
have anything planned and blocked it out. I read the book a few weeks in
advance to see if we needed to do any prep work – mainly we cut out the nighttime
milk. I read it again last week to prepare.
And it worked like a dream. I give most of the credit to W’s
age. He will be 3 in 3 weeks. He understands everything we say to him. The rest
of the credit is to the methods in the book. It was totally clear on what to
say, when to say things and how to explain to your kid what is going on. We
actually only had 3 accidents and I could tell that it had clicked with the 3rd
accident (he stopped and told me and then finished on the toilet), which was
early Friday afternoon. I kept up with it for the 2nd day just to
make sure. We decided to drop it and take a family trip to the zoo on Sunday.
We didn’t have anything else planned!
I was nervous about the outing – we took 4 changes of
clothes and put an incontinence pad in the carseat. It worked out perfectly,
though. I had to pee constantly and just took W into the bathrooms with me. He
was cool with the public toilets as long as I held onto him.
The hardest part was the physical part of getting him on
and off the toilet, the bending over, the up-and-down of it all. My back was
killing me each night. That probably doesn’t happen to the non-pregnant people!
The best part was the 3 days straight of just focusing on W.
I found several projects on pintrest for us to do together. We read tons of
books. We watched a movie. We played outside. And, well, he did yardwork. M did
the mulching around the yard on Friday afternoon. W was outside with his little
wheelbarrow and no pants, loading up the mulch and delivering it to the garden.
He only paused for bathroom breaks!
I’m going to be one of those people that preaches this
method. Everyone I know that has used it was successful.

4 comments:
Yay W! Ella has been diaper-free since the start of the new year. I couldn't imagine having two in diapers at the same time!! That's awesome that it clicked so quickly for him (looking back, I probably started a little too early). Hang in there!
Happy to hear everything in the baby and potty training departments is going perfectly =)
A 15-week break, right?!
Glad the training went so smoothly for you!
Been seriously MIA due to a hack that took over my Blogger acct but wanted to let you know I think it's awesome you get a break! And I'm happy all is going well with your pregnancy!!
Post a Comment