I left work early on Friday afternoon when the snow started picking up. I’m not about to risk anything with this baby. It didn’t really start to stick until after I would have gotten home normally, but whatever. I got all of the weekend chores finished before it was even officially the weekend!! That was awesome.
Anyway, snow, snow everywhere and I was the only one who couldn’t drink!
This is a view of the windows looking onto our deck. The snow was drifted, so it looks a bit worse than it really is... but it's deep! The piles between driveways are over 7' tall!

Our power went out at 3 am on Saturday morning. This means M didn’t sleep at all after that as he went into man mode and needed to protect us. At first, he just laid in bed and complained about being cold and yelled at me for throwing the covers off. He was trying to keep warm by spooning me, which just made me sweat like a pregnant lady. He got out of bed around 7 and somehow he got our neighbor, A, to start a fire in our fireplace. We made a fire back in 2004 and never did it again. We have a small woodpile under the deck with a ton of old wood. It wasn’t ideal, but they did get a small fire started. It didn’t become a FIRE with HEAT until 2 pm. The 4 of us were laying on our couches and covered with blankets not speaking and frowning. Someone’s cell phone rang and we all thought for 2 seconds that the power was coming back on. That was funny. When it did come back on for real (The roar of our old beer fridge let us know), we started cheering.
In the meantime, the men shoveled, the women laid on the couch and my mother in law called over and over again to freak out.
Note to MILs everywhere: If you are freaked out about your DIL’s pregnancy, don’t call her when there is nothing anyone can do. It’s not like my main priority was shoveling the snow. I spent the day wrapped in blankets and keeping my core temperature normal. Sure, my nose and toes were chilly, but my house never fell below 53 degrees! I wouldn’t have had a problem if she hadn’t kept calling us. M actually yelled at her. So when the baby wasn’t moving much on Saturday night, I was extra freaked out.
Sunday was a finally a fun snowed in day. I made 4 (FOUR!) scrapbook pages for the baby book. I was afraid to start, but now I can’t stop! M made chili, I was warm and the neighbors came over for the superbowl (the baby LOVED Carrie Underwood singing. WTF?). I was sad when the front end loader came out around midnight to dig out our road.
So here I am, at work and everyone is talking about the 12-18” we’re supposed to get on Tuesday. Note to the weather: This is MARYLAND! Not the arctic!
On another note: I found out all the details of my short term disability pay from work. And it is CRAPPY. I get 6 weeks past my due date at 70% pay. That sounds good, right? Except that I have to be out of work 29 days before that kicks in. Meaning I will get paid for the 29th day through the 42nd day. That is 13 days (minus weekends). I will get 70% of two weeks of pay and we wanted me to stay home for 12 weeks. Haha! My job is to now sit down and go through the budget and find out how long I can stay home without making a huge dent in our savings. You’d think this would mean we would go into savings mode right now, but we’re trying to get new windows before the baby gets here. I need to make some spreadsheets.

6 comments:
Sounds like a chilly but fun weekend!! I heard about the Wednesday storm, we're supposed to get that one up in Boston too. Crazy winter!
My short term disability is similarly crappy. I'm almost rooting for a c-section so that I can eke out another 4 weeks, pathetic. When will our country ever become progressive on childcare? In Canada, they get over a year of fully paid leave. Ugh.
I'm glad you're warm and safe, and that you weren't in any danger! We're getting a TON of snow this winter here in Iowa, too - scheduled for about a foot tonight. It's really worrisome when you are driving - I'm glad you're safe!
Holy schnickes - for a Southern gal, that snow and the info that your house never get below 53 degrees is enough to chill me right to the bone. Here I sit at my desk, a veritable human Fudgesicle, shivering at the thought of anything less than an in-house temp of 72 degrees. Brrrr...
wow sounds like quite an eventful wknd! In NYC, we didn't even get a snowflake making the footage of DC/Maryland all the more surreal.
Echo your point on an overinvolved MIL. Mine lives in a different country and has taken it upon herself to call me several times a wk with wellmeaning, but overwhelming, advice!! I try to be patient as it's her first grandchild but I don't know how much longer my patience will last :)
I am in spreadsheet hell, also, trying to make sense of it all. Sigh. I have a small A.FLAC policy that will cover my mortgage for one month, LOL. I have to take unpaid leave. Trying to work out a work-from-home schedule while off (as I did with Lil Pumpkin) with reduced pay. What sucks is trying to coordinate this with out firm dates to be off - was MUCH easier with LP's arrival, since we knew when leaving on adoption travel, LOL.
I am glad the power came on and just hoping it stays on with all the snow coming.
And that is CRAPTASTIC about your maternity coverage. It doesn't seem right?!?!? (I am not saying you got it wrong, I am saying that it doesn't seem fair!)
Post a Comment