Monday, June 15, 2009

The beach weekend

M and I went to the beach this weekend to spend time with my parents. They are in the process of building a house down there and they are having a great time picking out all the stuff that goes with it. I used to work for a builder, so I wanted to see how the houses are built and my parents are very concerned with the siding color. We spent 15 minutes in the car while my mom took pictures of the lot. My dad had to keep moving the car to get it out of the shot and tried to get my mom to stand on the car to get a picture of the view. The guys working on the house next door just stopped and stared at them the whole time. My parents haven't embarrased me in years, but they came close this weekend.

One evening, we went to my aunt's house to have some drinks. Most of my dad's family was there and we had a nice time talking to them and watching them get drunk. My aunt (she's about 70) came up to the bar and picked up a drink and smelled it, "That's water! That can't be my drink! Where's my drink???" We didn't talk as much as giggle at the old folks.

At the end of the night, M and I were leaving with my parents and my cousin's husband came out with us. He stopped us and said that he was so sorry about our baby and that he'd been thinking of us. I just started crying and couldn't stop. It was part sadness, but part gratefulness that someone had said something. Everyone just acts like nothing happened, but it's all I think about. I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about how different it should be. I should have been sitting on the beach all wrapped up with a cute belly instead of trying to hide some fat, I should have spent a few hours going through the baby departments at the country stores instead of avoiding them, I should have smiled at the babies playing in the sand instead of sitting so I couldn't see them. My parents and I carefully didn't talk about where we would put a crib in the new house.

I have a boring week ahead, but I'm looking forward to going to see the Orioles play on Thursday! I don't really watch the game, but the Old Bay Crab Shuffle between the 3rd and 4th innings is AWESOME!

No comments: