Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Tree


Friday was a bad day.

We were getting ready to have our neighbors over for dinner when M came up the stairs and told me that the deer had eaten our little tree. I thought he meant a sad holly we planted a few years ago that just can't seem to keep up. He didn't. He meant the little tree in the backyard that my mom gave us in May. The little tree that I almost think of as my son.

I cried. I'm still crying.
I know he's not really in the tree, but I feel like I failed him. I went out during the snow storms to make sure the little tree was still upright, I watered it all summer. I love that tree.
And I failed him. I left it unprotected and now it looks like a sad stick in the ground.
I cried the kind of sobs that make husbands cry. He tried to calm me down because he didn't want me to do any harm to our new baby, but I couldn't stop. Then he did what men do best. He fixed the problem. He stood up and said, "Let's go." We went to home depot and bought a little wire fence and he installed it immediately, even though he should have been preparing dinner for our friends.
I'm still so sad about this, but I can't stop feeling grateful for M. I heard him go outside this morning to check on the tree. He already is the best father in the world. I am so lucky to have him.

20 comments:

Monica said...

I am sorry about your tree. But trees, like people, like YOU! are stronger than they look.

Alyssa said...

I just cried about this, myself. I've pretty much been crying for the past 10 days about life in general. Blah!

Stupid deer.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Oh, Cheryl, I'm crying with you. You have the kindest heart. Thinking of you.

Finn's Mom said...

Aw, this whole story made me tear up. I'm sorry this made you so sad, but it was a wonderful opportunity for M to remind you how great he is. Plus, I think the tree still looks great!

Maybe if you think of it as a hungry little deer, possibly not finding anything else to eat that day, was helped by your son, is might hurt a little less? His spirit fed another one of the world's spirits.

Ms. J said...

M is def a keeper. I like a man who is tough enough for both our tears and to come up w/ a solution.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I just lost my sweet girl the week before December and as soon as spring hits, we're planting a tree to remember her and I can already imagine the love I will have for the tree.

Sweet that your dh is taking such good care of you and the tree.

Christina
the subfertile frugalista

iclw

LuckyOnce said...

That made me cry. I'm so sorry that a deer ate your tree, but it's so wonderful that you have a husband who would do something like that to make you feel better. *hugs*

LuckyOnce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

I have a "baby tree" as well, and I also feel a sense of responsibility for it's growth. What a great husband you have!

Erin said...

Aww, I am so sorry the deer ate your tree. It will grow back like new in the springtime. :(

Suzanne said...

This story brought tears to my eyes. M is so sweet! You are very lucky to have him. I'm glad that you now have a fence around your tree to protect it. I'm planning on planting a rosebush this spring in honor of my dear baby boy.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog.
ICLW

Kailyn's Mommy said...

So sorry to hear about your tree! But what a great hubby you have! ♥

Gabby said...

what a wonderful sweet moment between you are your husband.. think on the many many more things that you will support each other through as you raise your sweet baby!

i love reading your blog as I am just almost exactly at the same stage you are!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your tree 8-( I had one like that ( rose of sharon, though) that DH accidentally cut when we were clearing brush... Yay for your Hubby for coming up with a solution!

ICLW

Fran said...

Oh so so sorry about the tree. but it is protected now, wishing you all the best for this pregnancy. Fran

ICLW #90

Chelle said...

I am so sorry to hear about your tree and your miscarriages. I am very glad to not only read you are pregnant, but more than half way through already. :)

Your husband is a sweetie and very tender toward your feelings. I hope that your little tree comes back, and that the deer who ate it, at best, got diahrrea, and at worst, kicked the bucket.

jill said...

Aww I'm sorry about your tree. It's so hard when things you care about get ruined like that. Your husband is too sweet :) I'm hoping your tree ends up thriving from the unexpected "pruning"!

Gina said...

We have deer eating our landscaping regularly, whenever I don't put the spray on their favorite bushes often enough...luckily, the little shrubs keep coming back--I just have to make sure the deer don't get to them again. Sounds like you made sure deer can't get to your little tree again. It'll probably look sick till spring, but I hope you'll see little buds on it soon--we have in the past! What a great husband for recognizing how important this was to you and finding a way to help!

Michele said...

Oh hon, I'm sorry. We have deer and a variety of wildlife and I'm afraid to plant for fear that I would just lose it if something happened.

Wendy said...

what a sweet hubby. I'm so sorry about your tree Cheryl ;( I cried when the 2 rose bushes I planted in memory never bloomed. How fitting and sad for me ;(