My doctor called me this morning with some test results. Mostly everything came back. I have a heterozygous MTHFR mutation. I’m not about to try to explain it, but this means I have a hard time absorbing enough folic acid and I am more likely to get some blood clots. This is not as severe as other clotting disorders, so that’s good news for me.
I am supposed to take a baby aspirin every day when (if?) I find out I’m pregnant again. I need to ask about supplemental folic acid (don’t forget!).
While she was talking to me, she started talking about my thyroid and saw that the results from that test are not back yet, so I should be getting another phone call in a few weeks.
I happy there’s SOMETHING. I admit that my heart sank a little when she said that everything looks good. I’m not wishing that I had some huge health problem, but I wanted something that would give me some sort of answer. I’m willing to accept this one – there must be some reason my baby was perfect one day and then all of the sudden he’s gone. A blood clot seems to be a reason I can hold on to for now.
I feel pretty good now. I feel like there is something I can do next time (hopeful for a next time!) and I kept thanking the doctor as she tried to get off the phone with me. I feel like sending her a thank you note!
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
FYI, and I know you're not going to be trying for a while anyway, but my doctor told me to start taking baby aspirin before even trying to get pregnant. I have elevated ANAs, which can be a clotting disorder (or lupus or some other sort of autoimmune disease, which I don't have anyway) and had to inject heparin through the first trimester. Plus, with my family history of heart disease, it's probably a good idea for me to take the baby aspirin daily anyway. And, I'd probably ask if you needed additional folic acid beforehand too. Just offering a different perspective...
Hi there,
Thanks for your comment! I am glad you got some answers! (But I am really sorry about your losses...) I'm glad to hear you will be getting on baby aspirin and folic acid. They sure do GREAT things to even out the whole MTHFR thing. I believe God has a plan for you! Hang in there. :)
-Erica
Post a Comment