Last week, my friend K’s dog died and she was pretty upset about him. That makes sense, I would be sad too. We’re not close friends – she is M’s coworker’s wife. We see each other a few times a year and she’s giggly and fun.
When her dog died, they hadn’t actually picked him up yet. They were in some sort of waiting period from the rescue center and the dog died of distemper. When K put a status message up telling the news and saying she was embarrassed about crying for a dog that she didn’t even have yet. I responded and told her that it was ok to cry and several other people expressed their condolences. M and I talked about how bad we felt for them. Sure, a dog and a baby are not the same, but we know the feeling of loosing someone before you even have them, before you get to make memories. I told M to check on his coworker the next day and tell him we were thinking of them.
A day or two later, K had a new photo up showing their new dog and talked about how happy they were.
If only it was that easy for all of us.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
hi - I just came across your blog today from another blog's blog - lol --and I've been reading your past posts and our stories are very similar in timeline in my back to back m/c's this year - just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blog and hope you don't mind if I add you to my list - it is really comforting (unfortunately) to know that there are other women out there going through similar things - i don't really have friends that are even at the point in their lives with trying or have kids, etc so its tough to talk about when ppl just don't fully understand...hang in there.
if only...
Hi there. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's always nice to have new "faces" around.
I think different people feel very differently about pets. It's nice that your friend was able to ease the pain of her loss by getting another dog, but you're right. It just doesn't work for babies.
Post a Comment