Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Appointment details

Here are all the details from my appointment yesterday. These are not very exciting, it’s mainly for my own reference.

We arrived at the office and my wait wasn’t that bad (surprising for a late afternoon appointment). I had to fill out a few forms that I’ve filled out a few times already. I was shaking the whole time. We moved into the room and M laughed at the way I hide my underwear (everyone does that!). The doctor did all the normal stuff and talked to me a little. She is so nice and I like her much better than the doctor I had last time. She made sure I was taking baby aspirin and then decided I should get a Cystic Fibrosis test, too. What’s one more blood test? I’m good at those!

Then on to the ultrasound! The office has old machines were made in the 1700s. They are loud and fuzzy and old. They can’t even measure this early. I don’t care about that – I get to see my baby! She got the camera up there and I could see a dark blob that was bigger than my last first appointment (last time we saw the baby at 6 weeks, 3 days). I saw the yolk sac first and that scared me, but a few seconds later, the little flickering heartbeat was clear. M leaned in to see and I couldn’t stop crying. The doctor was talking to me, but I have no idea what she said. I couldn’t get a word out until she said, “It’s just one!” and then I almost shouted, “GOOD!” She pronounced that everything looked great and left us alone to get dressed (well, I was the only one who had to get dressed). M and I just sat there and hugged for a few minutes while I finished crying. He even had a few tears. I can’t believe the relief. I never let myself think about what could be there until now. What a beautiful feeling.

We went in to have a chat with the doctor and she gave me the usual rundown. We’re going to schedule the NT scan again. Then I took all my courage and said, “I’m going to be very nervous for the next few weeks.” And she said immediately, “We’ll have you come in every two weeks. There’s nothing we can do this early, but we’ll still watch you closely.” I could have kissed her. She told me to pick up another vitamin (DHA in a pill called Expeta) and add that to the daily regimen.

I got all my blood tests and I’ll be going in again on October 14th. This gives a whole new meaning to the two week wait!

Thank you for all your good wishes and congratulations!
Here's my picture - my scanner isn't working (as usual), so you get a pdf scan.

7 comments:

Ms. J said...

I can feel your relief, miles away :o)

I am so proud of you for telling the dr. how nervous you are, and how the dr. responded by wanting to see you every two weeks. That peace of mind will help, even if just a teeny bit ;o)

LuckyOnce said...

It's great to have a doctor who understands, huh? I'm so happy for you.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

What a beautiful little baby. God bless!

Dawn said...

I am so happy for you!!! Keep the good news coming. Will pray this next two weeks doesn't crawl for you.

Kailyn's Mommy said...

AGain I am so happy for you! I hope you continue to get the best news with this baby. I can't even imagine how hard these next few months will be for you after all you went through last time. My 2nd loss was 6wks 3 days and now I am 9wks. And not a day goes by that I still don't have worries. I hope that goes away eventually.
Can't wait to hear more good news for us both!

Kailyn's Mommy said...

BTW, my hubby laughs when i hide my panty's too! ;o)

Michele said...

wonderful news!!! yay!!!

(and I always hid my panties in my pants, too!)