Monday, September 14, 2009

An Accidental Surprise

Well, where to start? I’ve been trying to catch up on my Google Reader these past few days. You guys have been busy.

I do have a ton of pictures and a ton of things to say about my awesome trip, but that’s going to have to wait.

Of course I have guilty feelings about publishing this. I’m so sorry if reading this brings you any kind of pain. I’ve cried at the news that people are pregnant and I’ve cheered at the news. I hope you will cheer for me, but I understand the tears and I do wish you all the best.

I guess I’ll go right into it. We left for our trip to Scotland on Wednesday. I expected AF on Saturday, Sept 5. I had packed a ton of “supplies” because I didn’t want to have to find a store and use unfamiliar stuff. I’m very brand loyal and I don’t like the unexpected. On Saturday, nothing happened. That was fine, I decided with the time change and stress of travelling, I could be a little late.

On Sunday I was in denial. We stayed at a place that had pink toilet paper, so that tricked me.

On Monday I realized that something must be up with me. I told M that we needed to stop by a pharmacy. We were in Inverness (that is the city next to Loch Ness) that night and that’s enough of a city to have actual stores. I bought a 2 pack of Boots brand (think Rite-Aid) tests. I was still in denial. There’s no way. We didn’t touch each other at all during that open window, just like we had decided.

This is what I saw on Tuesday morning. Holy crap. These tests always confuse me, so the positive line is the vertical line in the square window. The control lines are the vertical line in the circle window and the faint horizontal line in the square window. I went to two different pharmacies to find the prenatal vitamins, folic acid and baby aspirin. I calmed down once I had everything.




Thursday was my first due date, we talked about it a little, but we were crazy busy and we were overwhelmed with this news. I highly recommend going somewhere on your due date. My mind was so full with the sightseeing that I couldn’t dwell on what we’d lost.

I thought I would be scared out of my mind. But, no… I would describe myself as completely numb. I refuse to think about the future. It’s not as hard as you would think. When my mind starts wondering, “how far along will I be…” I stop on specifically think about something else. It’s working great so far. I am taking this one pee break at a time.

I’m not even going to start with the fears I have about starting vitamins and folic acid late, going to the dentist, taking allergy medicines, and downing the whiskey!

The main reason I was in denial is the complete lack of symptoms. The last two times, I knew I was pregnant before the tests. My chest was aching at about 3.5 weeks. They are barely starting to hurt now, and it is just little twinges every few hours. I tell M each time I feel some pain and he looks reassured. Other than that, we don’t talk about it at all. I will now go back to not thinking about it. I’m going to call the doctor today at lunch and get my first appointment.

M left for Hawaii this morning. I’m 5 weeks today. I will pass my first milestone of 5 weeks and 3 days on Thursday. He comes home on Saturday. Due date is May 17th. Try not to think about it!!!

16 comments:

Ms. J said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is a shocking, but wonderful surprise!

Since you read my blog, you know that I know what it's like to get this surprise, while battling The Ghosts Of Pregnancies Past.

I am here for you, freakouts, small milestones, doubts, twinges, spotting, lack of symptoms, and everything in-between.

Congratulations, and keeping you in my prayers :o)

wifey said...

Congratulations! Personally, I like to see pregnancy announcements from ladies who have been through loss/IF. It makes me feel hopeful!

I hope all goes well for you!

Dawn said...

Congratulations!! This is such exciting news. I will be praying that you hit your milestone of 5 wks 3 days and everyone after that!!

Kailyn's Mommy said...

OMG!!! Congrats! And you sound just like I did two weeks ago. Today I hit a new milestone at 7wks and still my boobs aren't sore. Yesterday was the first day my nipples were sore on and off and boy did I get excited. Both my last PG's (that sadly ended) my boobs were also so sore before I even got my BFP.
I have been in all sorts of denial with this PG. Not only because of my boobs but also my levels being low in the beginning. You should always listen to your dr.. He told me not to stress over those things as every PG is different. And when we saw that little flicker of it's heart on Friday there was NO denying an actual baby growing in my womb. I am still in somewhat denial 3 weeks later but I am taking it day for day and praying this week's ultrasound will bring more answered prayers.
GOOD LUCK and can't wait to hear great news from you.
ps so weird cause i also had our due date pass on saturday. i hope this means a bring home baby for us both!!!!

Wendy said...

WHOOOO!!! I am SO thrilled for you!! Don't for one second think that you can't share happy news b/c it gives the rest of us that much needed hope!! I hope you can get in to see your dr. as soon as possible - can't wait to hear your updates. My boobs were super sore the first time and I still had m/c to me, symptoms don't mean squat! so hang in there and I'll be praying for you!!

One Dream Two Hearts said...

I am very very very happy for you. Never feel like you can not share this news! We are all sooooo happy for you as we should be! This is about supporting you...and I AM!!! :)

cheryllookingforward said...

Thank you so much! The encouragement from you means so much to me! Thank you!

Alyssa said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy for you! I'll be wishing for a uneventful journey and be sure to keep us updated! WOOHOO!

hhammer said...

aaaagh, I'm so excited for you!!!!! =)

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I am so happy for you. :)

Monica said...

I am so happy for you! Stick, baby, stick! You are pregnant today and taking the best care of yourself that you can. Stay calm and feel the love people are sending your way!

LuckyOnce said...

Congratulations! I really hope this is the one for you!

Hey, maybe "relaxing" really DOES make babies?! (Just kidding, just kidding...) :)

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from LFCA...

Congratulations!

I rather enjoy going to drug stores in different countries, though most countries don't have the huge drugstores where you can wander like U.S. and U.K. Boots has all sorts of yummy Cadbury candy too -- but nothing else you can buy is better than that positive test.

Good luck!!

jill said...

Here from LFCA - Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you! I wish you success, much success in this journey

Your idea of going away on the day of the due date is a good one.

And pink toilet paper: CRUEL!

Michele said...

OMG!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!