Thursday, August 6, 2009

She's pretty as a daisy...

I had a good post idea, but that will have to wait for tomorrow. Today I have one thing on my mind.

ITCHING.

I have no idea what Poison Ivy looks like. Not true… I have a slight idea. It looks like every other weed living plant in my garden. I’m lucky because I don’t usually get a bad rash from it, just a few spots on my fingers for a few days and then it goes away.

Usually. This time is an exception. My neck (yes, what idiot gets poison ivy on her neck?) is bright red, bumpy and itchy. Behind my right ear, under my chin and down my throat. Uck. Ick. Gag.

I also have a spot the size of a pencil eraser on my finger and a little behind my knee.

So, dummy, maybe you should just try wearing gloves? But I hate wearing gloves! I can’t grab right and my hands get all sweaty. I only wear gloves when absolutely necessary, like mulching day and when pregnant (which I’m not… thanks, Garden, for finding a way to remind me).

I’ll just sit here today with my anti-itch cream and stare at the rain and listen to coworkers make fun of me. Perhaps next time I will have M walk around and point the stuff out instead of him telling me later that he saw the poison ivy in my weed pile.

P.S. Do not type “poison ivy” into a Google images search. What idiot does that? I think I’m going to vomit.

Update - Friday Morning.
I went to a Minute Clinic (and God bless the person who came up with that idea) and I got a prescription. I usually would have tried to suck it up and deal, but the rash has crept down between my boobs. Now I'm on the 'roids! I should probably try out for a baseball team this weekend.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Yucky! I usually don't react to it either.

One time my mom accidentally weed-whacked a whole area of poison ivy and the oils sprayed all over her body. She was hospitalized on steroids for a week because the blisters got so bad.

Isn't being itchy the worst? I often get hives and have to OD on benadryl just to get to sleep.

Hope it goes away fast!

LuckyOnce said...

Oh no. :( That totally stinks. I didn't know what it looked like either until we had some in our yard. Now I sort of do, but I'm still nervous that I'll touch something that I didn't think was poison ivy, and it will turn out I was wrong! (You need to get some of that awesome poison ivy killer spray to kill the plants!)

Hope you stop itching soon.

Michele said...

First off, that sucks. But it reminded me of a funny story.

Peter and I were taking a walk in the park by our house and I pointed out poison ivy on a tree. My scientist husband, who incidentally took some botany courses in college, tells me I'm wrong and proceeds to go over and, over my objections, touch it. "Nope, you're right. Poison ivy," he says. NO KIDDING! I emptied my water bottle on his hand and, thankfully, he had no reaction. But that fruitcake actually thought I'd walk hand in hand with him after that! I wouldnt even stand on that side of him!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Hope you feel better soon.

I just read your side bar. Sounds like we've both had two losses in short time frames this year. I'm sorry for your losses. I know how bad it hurts *hugs*

You listed my blog under "Mommies missing their babies" Thank you for acknowledging that I too am in some way, was a mother. It made what I went through real to see someone else see me as a mother.