Wednesday, August 12, 2009

That Facebook vent

I feel like everyone has to complain about the wonder of Facebook at some time. I love it, of course. I’m not good at calling my friends, so this way I can keep up on the little things that are going on.

I have the usual complaint that we all have – too many ultrasound pictures. I had to delete a guy because his wife’s u/s and pregnancy pictures popped up for me to see EVERY SINGLE DAY. I’ve hidden people so I don’t see their updates about how great their babies are growing (then I panic and end up peeking at their profiles to make sure doctor appointments are going well).

My own personal facebook problem is that I announced my pregnancy the week of May 10th. My baby was probably already dead when I was getting all the congratulations and excitement. The next week, I had to go back and delete the ultrasound pictures. I just couldn’t bear to see the pictures all the time. I kept the comments congratulating us because I needed some proof that he had existed. After I announced that the baby had died, I got a huge outpouring of support from friends. I was amazed at how much that helped.

But that doesn’t mean everyone saw that we weren’t pregnant anymore. I still get messages from people asking me how the baby is doing. One time, a former coworker started a chat asking me how the pregnancy was going (I never responded). It’s like somebody is punching me in the face each time that happens.

{Complaining removed}

To end on a better note (and since I’m on the topic), here is my favorite category from one of my favorite blogs. You do have to click on the entry title to get the full gloriousness of each entry. So good!

3 comments:

Ms. J said...

I am glad she quickly responded and explained. And I am proud of you for confronting her about it.

I don't dare do facebook - partly for the reasons you mentioned, and partly for personal security reasons, and partly because I am afraid of spouting off on something and it coming back to haunt me (my job is somewhat public/higher-profile, and ya gotta be careful not to mix private with public).

I have thought it would be great fun to have a faux facebook account, where I post a picture of a house (not our own) that is huge, really expensive cars, and photoshop my body a bit, hee hee!

Alyssa said...

I'm glad it was a mistake. Unfortunately, people forget to be careful when it's not their lives. People like me and you, on the other hand, pick up on tiny pregnancy related words that could be in the finest print, right off the bat.

It totally does suck having to see everyone's pregnancy stuff every single day. I'm in the same boat.

I have to say though, that I actually regret not announcing my pregnancy to anyone. I only told about 4 people, so when I miscarried, I only had 4 people's worth of support. It was just too difficult to go to friends and say "hey support me during my loss even though I never told you about my pregnancy in the first place", so most people still don't know.

This is just another one of those constant hurdles we have to make it over every day. Hugs!

Michele said...

I dont FB but my BFF does so I've seen it. I can totally see how it might not be good for mental preservation (one of the several reasons I dont have an acct right now!)

I'm so sorry about that site. Ugh... I'm glad that she emailed you back and is now aware. But wow... I would have cried, too.