Thursday, March 11, 2010

Breastfeeding Class

We had our breastfeeding class last night. I’m glad we took it, I feel more prepared now. I learned about positions and some other tips. I learned that my hospital doesn’t sell the pump I want (I can get it from the hospital where my mom works). I learned that we should grab 2 cookies before the class starts so we don’t have to share one.

The class started off kind of slow. We watched a video that makes it look so easy! She talked about the problems you can have and about the hospital services and policies. I was happy to learn about a back-to-work class that they have after your baby is born. I’ll be going to that!

M learned that boobs aren’t just giant bags of milk. He had no idea about the actual anatomy. Awesome.

She showed us some cream for nipple problems. I will probably just buy that stuff the next time I am at the store.

The biggest thing we got out of the class was the opportunity to think about what we want immediately after the baby is born. My mom will be in the room with me, my dad and M’s parents will be in the waiting room. We’ve decided that we want the first hour with just the 3 of us. We need to try the whole breastfeeding thing and just want that time to bond. The woman told us how a baby is usually alert for the first hour and then all the excitement catches up with them and they pass out. Our parents can come in and hold the sleeping baby. They’ll have plenty of time to get to know him/her afterwards. We’ll never be able to re-do that first hour. We’re happy we’ve decided this ahead of time so we won’t have disappointed parents knocking on the door.

So the real truth is that I am terrified of breast feeding. I’m more afraid of that than birth. Birth hurts real big one time and then you get a reward. You have lingering pain afterwards, but that’s manageable. I actually looking forward to that one. I’m terrified of breastfeeding hurting for months and months. My nipples are pretty sensitive as it is, I don’t think that will get better. I’m afraid I won’t be able to do it. I’m afraid I won’t know that I’m not doing it right. I’m afraid that I’ll lose my supply too early (my mom did). I’m afraid my kid will starve. I’m afraid my MIL will think less of me if I can’t do it (she’s already been hinting about how natural birth is wonderful – ha!). I’m afraid of disappointing M.

I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself. I am going to try my best. If I can’t do it, then I have plenty of other ways to feed my baby. We can afford formula (I won’t be using this). No one is going to be angry at me. My child will be fine. I just keep telling myself these things over and over. I hope I can do it.

12 comments:

LuckyOnce said...

First, let me say that it's awesome that you took a class. I think you'll be much more prepared with what to expect than a lot of people are.

Second, let me say that yes, breastfeeding is WAY harder than giving birth, but that's not the case for everyone. Remember that your baby is different from any other baby and they may just "get it" right from the start. Then again, they may be like my little man D, who had a different view of how BFing should work than I did. He was a head rearing, uncooperative maniac (and SO strong.)

Which brings me to my third point, which is, it's AWESOME to try BFing, but don't be too hard on yourself if you can't do it. D started on formula about a week after he was born, because he wasn't gaining weight, and my blood pressure was through the roof from the stress. He's now a super-duper healthy and normal 2 1/2 year old. I'll try BFing again this time and HOPE that I can do it. It's what I would prefer, but there's so much else to adjust to when a baby comes along, that it's a LOT to contend with.

There's a great chance that you'll be able to do it, with some persistence, and I think you have a great attitude, and you're being very practical about the fact that it's not the end of the world if you can't.

(That was meant to be encouraging and helpful, and I'm sorry if it ended up being more scary than helpful! :)

Kailyn's Mommy said...

We take our breastfeeding class next week. And you are so right to be afraid! So many of my g-friends have just had babies and breastfeeing is the one thing they were not prepared how difficult it could really be! This is why we are doing this class. I also recommend a book (i still have to read) that three of my friends highly recommended. It's called The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears. I am hopefully going to start reading some of it in the next week or two before. And then some of it you will read once baby is here (if you have time!)
Luckily I have a few friends who have made it through those hard first few weeks. If you can get through that, from what I have heard and read, it get's a lot easier & more enjoyable.
Good luck to us both that we can do it!!

Alyssa said...

I feel the exact same way about wanting to be with the baby alone before our parents come in. I'm even considering pushing it out longer than an hour.

As far as the breastfeeding stuff goes, you NEED to join Twitter!! There is a whole network of women that offer the best advice and support and are so reassuring that you won't be afraid anymore. I'm sending some of them over here right now!

StephaE said...

I never knew that about the first hour with the baby! That is good to know...Dave and I will be alone with the baby that first hour. It will go by so fast..my family can just wait it out!!!

I too will be breastfeeding if I can. Some of my friends have no problem, and others do. It all depends on your body and how it takes to it.

Don't stress about it too much!

Monica said...

It's good to be prepared and be realistic...both of those come in handy.
I had about three minutes with my son before they took him to the NICU. The two pictures we have of him were as long as we were allowed to hold him. I didn't even attempt bfing until about four hours later.
We were a mess that first week at the hospital. We broke every bfing rule in the book; paci, formula, mix of bottle and boob. But we were really consistent and we both got better at it.
Breastfeeding was much harder than I thought it would be, but it is amazing how much your body and the baby tell you about what needs to happen.
P.S. Lanisoh stains like a biotch.

LuckyOnce said...

By the way, I didn't read any BFing books (my bad) and I'm sure they stress this, but DRINK TONS OF FLUID when you try to BF. (None of the nurses thought to tell me that at the hospital.) I had a heck of a time trying to get my milk to come in, and part of it turned out to be that I was dehydrated when I got out of the hospital. (At the hospital, you have nothing to do but sit around and drink fluids, but at home it's easy to forget!)

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm Ali, I'm a Certified Lactation Counselor. I found you through Alyssa on twitter...

Don't be scared about breastfeeding. There are so many people that can help you, support you, and answer your questions. The first step is not to start off the breastfeeding relationship with any knocks against you. Try to have baby laid on your chest as soon as possible following the birth (directly after is best if baby is healthy!), ensure you get lots of time to bond with the baby and let the baby get used to breastfeeding. The baby hasn't breastfed before either, you're both newbies, and it's best to learn together! If you have any latch problems be sure to see the LC on duty at the hospital as soon as you can. Often it's a good idea just to talk to the LC to help reassure you that you're doing fine. This is a great article about the size of baby's stomach at birth. http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding/started/stomach.aspx
Also be sure everyone who will be caring for your baby is the hospital knows you do not want any bottles or formula given to your baby during your hospital stay. Even one bottle can mess up your supply, change your baby's stomach lining, and cause baby to sleep through many important breastfeeding sessions.

Losing supply hopefully won't ever be a problem for you but if you do feel like your supply is dropping then there are tons of things you can do. The best way to ensure your supply is perfect for your baby is to nurse on cue. Keep the baby as close to you as possible, especially the first few weeks. Feed the baby whenever he/she shows feeding cues, even if you just nursed the baby 20 minutes before. Your breasts always have milk in them, so you won't ever be empty. The more milk your baby drinks, the more milk you will make!

It might feel uncomfortable to nurse your baby the first few weeks. It shouldn't hurt though, so if it does be sure to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible so you don't damage your nipples. If you can correct a latch problem right away hopefully you won't have any lasting pain. Always remember that the pain will go away, and breastfeeding won't be painful for the rest of your breastfeeding relationship.

Hope that helps! Feel free to email me if you have any other questions! (papyrusdoula(at)gmail(dot)com) Also I suggest you should join twitter if you haven't already...there's a great community out there just waiting to support you and your breastfeeding relationship with your baby!

Dawn said...

Cheryl I absolutely agree!! I so badly want to breastfeed and am petrified. Hubby and I are going to a BF class this Sat with my friend who is due the same day. She is going to be breastfeeding twins!! We had also decided that we will stay in the room alone (with doula) once the baby is born. We will also be rooming in and do our best not to allow them to take her from the room at all (I can be pretty loud when I need to be). I am reading a book by the Le Leche League called "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It has been bigtime educational.

I am so happy to see I am not alone in my fears about this. Thank you for sharing!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I so agree with you about wanting the room to be just the three of us for at least an hour - there's so much bonding that needs to be done, and I'm sure there are just overwhelming emotions that belong to you three. I'm so glad that you had such a great experience at class.

Erin said...

Your fears are completetly normal. I have them too as I wasn't able to BF my first due to latch on issues. But, I didn't prepare myself for anything and didn't have support.

Use Lanolin every time you BF. If you are having latching problems you can pump (hospitals are supposed to give you a hand pump) and syringe feed for a few days. Babies only need a teaspoon of fluid the first few days and that is likely what your breasts will be producing or so I read and is my saving grace.

I was seriously *stressed* the first time...but knowledge is key.

Just give it your all and hopefully things will work out, if not formula will do just fine ;)

I don't take my class until April but I have been studying http://forum.kellymom.net/

Love that website, so informational and they have videos and such.

Kelli said...

This is a GREAT post! I love that you ar going to limit the first hour to yourself and your hubs only. I think that is a fantastic idea...and I had never heard about the baby being more wakeful in the first hour. Thanks for the info.

I, too, am scared at the prospect of BFing but mainly because I don't want to fail at it. I'm trying mightily not to set my expectaions too high but it is something I really want to do. :)Of course, that's why I'm so afraid...

Ahhhh, neurosis. My best friend!

We're taking a BFing class as well...hope ours is as informative as yours!

emdashpoet said...

Hi. Alyssa said you might need a breastfeeding pep talk. :) I've breastfed three kids now, with varying degrees of success. With DD11, my milk dried up when I went back to work at 6 weeks. I was a single mom, and I just didn't have the education or support to continue. I don't beat myself up over it, because 6 weeks is better than nothing. DS3 was tongue tied, and yes, nursing him was painful. It was made even worse by the fact that this is so rare that everyone assumes you're just latching incorrectly. But even with this physiological problem, my nipples did eventually adjust and I was able to continue breastfeeding into toddlerhood. My current 3mo nurses like an absolute champ. Even though my nipples get sensitive to the touch, his latch is never painful, because he's latched on properly (and has a proper tongue). Breastfeeding has been one of the most rewarding parts of motherhood for me. It honestly makes me feel like I have a superpower when one of my babies is sick and I literally nurse them back to health. Take a deep breath and remember that you were designed to do this. There are plenty of us out there who are happy to help with any bumps along the way. Best of luck!