Thursday, March 25, 2010

Officially Mutation Free

We have finally received the results of M's CF testing. He is clear!

Read some background here. The short version is that I am a carrier for CF. M's family has a bad history (read: lots of early childhood death) and we decided to check for every single mutation, even the very rare ones. He does not have a single one. It cost us about $700 to make sure, but now we can breathe easy about this. I've been worried, just not talking about it.

All I need to do now is take the baby to the CF doctor a few weeks after birth so they can see if s/he is a carrier and compare that to the results from the early tests we did. Why is this important? It is WAY harder to tell if a baby has the same mutation as the mom. They try to isolate the baby's DNA from mine in the blood, but if we have the same CF markers, that's a little harder. So we still can help a little. And I don't have to worry (about this).

Oh, the *finally* part of the waiting is not because of the doctors or the lab. I've been bugging M to get the blood draw since December. He didn't want to do it. Not because of the blood draw part, but because he would have to go to his doctor's office and most likely get a physical. You know what doctors do to men at physicals? It involves fingers and butts. Once I found out about the group-B strep test, I told him that if I had to go through birth AND get something in my butt, he was going to do this one little thing. You can't argue with that. So he made the appointment and had the finger test. Now he is eagerly awaiting my butt appointment (and you all thought he was just really into butt stuff).

6 comments:

StephaE said...

YEAY FOR NOOOOO MUTATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like it was JUST yesterday you were asking us whether or not you should "try" on vacation....pshhh...girl....we have ALL come a long way!

LuckyOnce said...

What great news! I had thought about that, and I'm glad that you got some good answers. What a weight off your mind.

jill said...

Very good news! (and haha at your butt compromise ;))

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I am so glad to hear this! I've been thinking about you ever since your CF post way back when, and wondered how M's test went. I guess all it takes is a little butt incentive to get these guys moving? ;)

I'm so happy for you!!

Kailyn's Mommy said...

YAyyyyyyyyy for no great news!!!
I'm confused about the butt stuff??
I just had my group B test today and it was just a swab in the vagina? I kind of already knew what to expect since my SIL and 2 best friends had it done when they were PG.

Wendy said...

fantastic news!! sorry just catching up on my blog posts and missed this exciting news! and yes, I second Nicole - what butt stuff? *scared*