Hi! Did everyone have a good weekend? Things were insane in my house!
First Item!
I DO NOT HAVE DIABETES!!!! WOOOHHHOOOOO!!! Bring on the cookies. But make them cookies with a side of steak because I’m anemic. I have to take iron pills now. I blame that on M for not giving me cheeseburgers every night. My mom wants to know how anemic I am, so I need to call the office and get the actual numbers. I hope these iron pills don’t stop me up too bad. I got the slow release ones. Now I take 5 different pills a day (which, um, is nothing compared to what some of you do).
Next Item!
We spent all day Saturday emptying out the office and making it into a nursery. Poor M made at least 40 trips from our top floor to the basement carrying tons of stuff – mostly books! We got all of the stuff out of the room before noon (which is pretty darn good!). Then the in-laws came over to help with the furniture. We had some trouble getting desks to the basement, but it all worked out in the end.
M and his dad headed out to BRU to pick up the crib and dresser. They were gone forever. They called me once to complain that nothing fit in the Blazer. I told them to go to Home Depot and get some rope and make it work. They did. Then MIL and I watched them carry the fully assembled dresser up the stairs (we thought it would come in pieces… we probably would have picked different stuff if we knew it was fully assembled). The crib box was all busted up. I would have opened it at the store to make sure it was all ok. M did not do this (although he talked to the guy at the store and they assured him that they had opened the box and inspected everything). The crib headboard was split in half. Yippee! So we have a broken crib in our foyer until they deliver the new one. M called on Sunday and talked to a manager until they agreed to send someone to exchange the crib. He’s good at that kind of stuff. I was almost ready to cry when MIL pulled one of my Pollyanna tricks on me – she said “well, at least it’s not the dresser! I don’t think the guys could get that thing back down the stairs!” She was right. At least it was the much lighter crib that was carried up in pieces. At least the furniture will be here within a week or two. A broken crib 10 weeks before the baby is even due is not a big deal.
So now we have a baby room with a dresser and our office is all set up in the basement. It looks good down there. I wasn’t optimistic and I thought we’d be crowded down there. Now I kind of wish we’d always had the office in the basement.
Next Item!
We took the in-laws to dinner after all their hard work. I spent the dinner with a foot in my rib, so I kind of had to sit sideways to elongate myself. Everyone told me I looked like a fat trucker eating at a diner. I tried to sit better, but then I couldn’t reach the table. I am sitting the same way right now (but leaning to the right instead of the left). The kid will move when I push it down, but then reaches back up in there. Oh boy!
Next Item!
We went to an infant care class on Sunday. We learned how to bathe a baby and how to change diapers and swaddle. She showed us pictures of newborns and all the little things that might scare someone who has never seen a newborn up close. She spent A LOT of time telling us to trust our instincts, to advocate for ourselves and the baby and to not be afraid to ask for help. All the things that girls like me need to hear. I thought that was the best part of the class. The worst part was that our baby doll was ugly. And the clothes we had for him were pink and frilly. We felt bad that we didn’t bond with our ugly baby and then gave him a complex with girl clothes.
Next Item!
Alyssa wrote a few days ago about being on the other side of the fence.
That was a huge thing for me this weekend and last weekend. Normally, I do try to conceal this belly some. I’m usually wearing my huge purple MIL coat that just makes me look like a chubby lady who isn’t used to walking with her fat. I don't want anyone to look at me and feel the sadness that I used to feel.
Right, so we were in Babies R Us registering last weekend and I was sitting at the table getting everything set up. I had my coat on even though I was kind of warm. I didn’t want to bother anyone around me with my belly. Then I realized something. I was in the middle of preggo-land. Although people around me might have suffered from a loss or infertility, they were here because they were preparing for a baby and their dreams were coming true. I didn’t have to hide here!
I had the same feeling this weekend. We walked into the hospital and I kind of guarded my belly. Then I realized I was in a class for infant care. Everyone there was the same size as me. I could rub my belly all I wanted and I could shift uncomfortably when I had that foot in my rib.
It’s a great place to be.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Yeay on the no diabetes. I think sometimes I am glad I am forced on a diet. I was gaining way too much weight. Now I am losing some.
I am also anemic. I take iron. Just eat fruit and fiber and you will be fine. Sometimes though it makes me feel horribly nauseaous for a few minutes in the morning.
I think my LO likes to lie head down but diagonally if that makes sense. I feel his hiccups down low but his feet are either up by my ribs or to my right side. I have actually seen them pushing on the skin.
Hooray for good news on the GD!! :) My screening is coming up at my next visit...fingers crossed that I get the same news as you (minus the iron issues, if you please). Eat a cookie for me!
I love that you finally felt okay with showing the belly at BRU and the hospital. I find myself wondering if I'm bothering someone with my belly (as it's gotten too warm here to wear the fat, puffy coats). Enjoy it! :)
And the nursery fiasco sounds just like something that would happen to us. We have a saying..."It's ALWAYS an adventure!"...b/c nothing ever seems to go just right for us...even mundane, normal things. Something is always wonky. :)
Hope you continue to feel well and are enjoying the third tri...hugs!
Wow! What a weekend.
Hopefully the crib issue will be resolved soon. How fun to be getting so close!
It must have been so nice to feel free to flaunt your belly in BRU and at your class. It really is such a fun and exciting time (especially once you CAN'T hide the belly and total strangers are all excited for you when you're out in public.) :)
great news on the GD results! I'm glad you were able to bask in your pregnant glory :) you totally deserve to - do it for the rest of us! I wish there was some kind of badge or something we could wear so that other ladies would know of our struggle and would instead be hopeful rather than sad when they look down at your growing bump. Short of branding ourselves, I guess there isn't a way huh?
Wow, what a weekend! I'm so glad that the gestational diabetes test came back negative, and hope that the iron pills aren't hard on you. I'm sorry that the crib was broken, but I'm so glad that M was able to convince them to make the trip - it wouldn't be fair for you guys to have to make that trip twice. I think it's just awesome that you were able to enjoy your pregnancy in public!
Post a Comment