Wednesday, December 2, 2009

CF Frustrations

Disclaimer: I’m an engineer, not a doctor. Don’t take any of this as fact if you are looking for CF information. I’m just getting this out from conversations I’ve had.

So, I think we’re back to the Cystic Fibrosis testing again. A quick review: I am a carrier for CF, I found out at about 8 weeks pregnant. I have no family history. My mutation is serious. M has a family history for CF, his mother’s cousin, K, died on Friday at age 43 due to CF. We had M tested for the 1570-ish most common mutations of CF and he came back clear. We waited to get this news before telling M’s mom (she’s a classic worrier). When we told her the whole story, we learned that her cousin K had a sister who died at the age of 3 from CF and her (and M’s mom’s) grandfather had several siblings pass away before the age of 10 due to pneumonia (most likely undiagnosed CF – this was the early 1900s).

Ok, so I told the doctor about this and didn’t think much more about it. He called me today to schedule my last blood draw and said he had been thinking about this more (you never want to hear that a doctor has been thinking more about your case). Turns out, those last 30-ish mutations that they didn’t test for are not only the least common, but they are also the most severe. The most severe mutations are the ones that you never hear about because the child dies very young. He doesn’t test for these types – deletion mutations – because his lab doesn’t have a good way to do it yet. After he learned about the early deaths in M’s family, he realized that there’s a strong possibility that M’s family could carry a deletion mutation.

My mutation (deltaF508) gives a person about 10% lung function. A deletion mutation gives 0% lung function. Pair these two suckers together and things look pretty grim.

I’ll talk this over with M tonight or tomorrow night (depending on his job stress level) and we’ll decide if we’re going to do the further testing at another clinic.

Odds: Assuming M’s great grandfather had CF, M has a 1 in 8 chance of being a carrier. Our child has a 1 in 4 chance of having CF if we are both carriers. Total: our baby has a 1 in 32 chance of having bad CF.

I know they can test for CF in an Amnio. I need to find out if that test will check for all mutations. But then again, even if this kid isn’t affected, we still want other kids and we’ll want to know for them, too. I think I want him to get the full test. He’s not going to be happy.

Crappity crap. I’m tired of worrying about this. I’m tired of making M worried about this. He had finally started to relax. He’s in the process of finding a new job and I really don’t want to add to his stress. I’m already freaked out about my baby dying before birth, now I’m going to be worried about a painful death in the first few years.

7 comments:

Ms. J said...

Oh honey, it's always something new for us to worry about, nothing can ever be smooth :o(

My cousin has CF (she is 37 and in good health). At the age of three I was tested for it, along with my other first cousin (we are both negative, and not carriers). Cousin's 32 year old brother, nor his 4 year old daughter have it, thank goodness.

I can't imagine your fear or worry. I think you are doing the right thing in being proactive (and very brave), and possibly helping others by taking part in the research efforts.

No magic, no answers for me to offer you, and I won't even reach for Lil Pumpkin's magic wand. Her answer would be for you to find a magic rainbow and make a wish. If only it were that simple, I know.

HUGS. Wuv you!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I don't have any experience with CF, but I do have a good ear if you ever need to talk. If it makes you feel any better - I'm with you, I'd probably do the extra testing (even though it would suck). I hope that you and M have time to breathe in between all of this. Hugs and hugs.

LuckyOnce said...

That must be so, so scary for you. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on top of the regular nerves of being a pregnant infertile.

Kailyn's Mommy said...

WOW, I'm sorry you have to deal with this on top of all the miscarriage fertility issues. I can only imagine adding that to my many worries. Lucky for us neither of us has any family history for any of that. *hugs*

Michele said...

Oh sweetie. I know this is something else strong on the worry page. Knowing may help you prepare if your sweet baby does have CF. I know it may come as little comfort, but if, if, if, the test comes back with an answer you dont want, try not to despair. Every life, no matter how short, is a great one that touches the world around them. Like I said, I know it isnt what you want to even think about and I will pray that your baby comes back completely in the clear.

Wendy said...

just wanted to say that i'm thinking about you. *HUGS*

Erin said...

Thank you for the well wishes on my blog.

I too have been feeling my baby move...pretty strongly for the last 2 days. I love it. :)