I should have posted over the weekend. I can’t believe how much stuff I need to talk about! I’ll go in reverse order.
Appointment:
I had my doctor appointment Monday at 4 pm. Only one doctor was there, so we had to wait forever. That was fine. I read a magazine and M looked at a Chesapeake Bay picture book. I’m afraid we’re going to be driving around looking for spots he found in the book. The was the first appointment for this pregnancy where I wasn’t afraid. The baby was kicking me while we were waiting, and I was so happy to be able to relax. The nurse didn’t even pause or make a face when she took my blood pressure! I gained some weight, too (although the weight might have been the gigantic pit beef sandwich I had for lunch!). The baby’s heart rate was in the 140s the entire time. We got to hear it for a while because I asked the doctor some questions and she held the Doppler on my stomach while she answered them.
My questions and answers:
Q: Can you recommend a place for infant CPR?
A: Check out the American Heart Association website. I didn’t think this was very helpful. The only thing I could find was a kit so you can learn at home. I see the good points – We could do this whenever we wanted and then pass it on to family and friends. The bad points are that you don’t have an instructor watching you to tell you if your technique is wrong. That makes me nervous. I found some classes that the county offers for free. It is a long class, 8:30 – 1:30 on a Saturday. But you learn everything CPR related. That can’t hurt. I’ll talk to M to see if he has a preference.
Q: How long do you allow a pregnancy to last before induction?
A: If all is going well, they will induce at 41 weeks. If I get dilated and stall out around 3 cm for a week or so, they will induce after 39 weeks. This is only for normal sized babies and no health problems. I just wanted to know the policy.
Q: What do I need to do for cord blood donation?
A: Information is on this website. I think this website (you have to register) is run by a cord blood bank, so they make the donation sound like a terrible idea. We are more interested in donation, so I need to research a little more. I need to talk to my mom about this, too.
Q: Now that I’m feeling movement, when should I call if I notice a decrease in activity?
A: If I go more than a day without feeling anything, I can call and they’ll take a look at the baby. I am supposed to drink juice and then lay down to check for movement before calling (I’ve heard this everywhere). Around 24 weeks, I should start paying more attention and call if I don’t feel anything for a few hours. I’ve already noticed a pattern – I’ll have one day of crazy activity followed by a day or two of just random kicking.
Movement:
Like I said to the doctor, the kicks/punches are getting more and more regular and harder. M was able to feel one over the weekend. He’s so impatient! He’ll hold his hand there for about 10 seconds and then say he can’t feel anything. This one time, the baby had good timing and got him with a good, strong punch right in the palm of his hand.
Christmas:
Christmastime was great. We went to my parent’s house on Christmas eve and had brunch with friends and then dinner with my dad’s sister’s family. My brother and his family came over for breakfast on Christmas, my other brother and his wife came over for dinner. Then we went home so we could have M’s parents over for breakfast on Saturday. We spent Saturday afternoon at M’s aunt’s house with that entire side of the family. Then I passed out from exhaustion. Sunday and Monday were pure at-home days. We organized our closets and got rid of 7 trash bags of clothes. I moved everything I can’t wear out of reach and my closet looks empty. I have some generous friends and family! So many people gave me maternity clothes for my birthday and Christmas. I have plenty to wear for the next few months! Two people gave me maternity clothes to borrow. I had a fashion show for M. My friend’s clothes were fine, but M’s aunt’s clothes were hysterical. They were pretty old and I think that elastic may not have been invented for these clothes. She had 2 jumpsuits (I don’t know what else to call them). They were pants that kind of had a tank top attached to them? And had all the room you could ever need for a baby. I almost kept those just for the story. M would not let me take a picture.
That whole coworker situation:
{Removed so I don't have to worry about this biting me in the ass one day}
Sorry for the all over the place post! I’m caught up here now. I have 66 unread blogs in my reader!!
Bump picture to come tomorrow or the day after. I completely missed week 20!
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Woo what an update! I should have taken notes ;)
Yay for your appt going well! I loved reading your questions and the answers you got - very interesting.
LOL @ the old maternity clothes. Tell M he has deprived me of a good laugh by not letting you take pics! :)
That situation with your coworker sounds like it totally got out of hand. I can see why you'd be angry. It may be cultural but I bet his personality played a lot into it as well. Try not to let it scare you away from friendship with others. You'll just know to approach things differently next time or to be more cautious. I hope it calms down and that he can just let things drop now.
When I checked out the websites of the two hospitals I can choose from I found that they had several classes for parents-to-be. One of them is an infant CPR/choking/first aid class. Actually, that one is open to anyone. Have you checked your local hospitals?
Aww, my hubby hasn't felt the baby move yet. He won't keep his hand on there long enough.
Some people are just over dramatic.
What an awesome appt! I'm taking infant CPR next week, so I'm glad to know that there's someone else worried about it. I'm so glad that the appointment went so great, and that things are progressing!
I hope that things can just stay calm with the coworker. That's just too bad - the wife now doesn't want to make anyone birthday cakes because of this? Come on. That's ridiculous.
Happy catching up! ;)
Oh my, I am hoping against hope that the Asian folks in question aren't Chinese, LOL. (It's okay if they are, trust me, I won't be offended).
I am PSYCHED about your latest dr. appt! One of the best things I have found about the kicking and flipping in utero . . . less worry about whether there is still a heart beating inside of me. In fact, I don't think I have whipped out the home doppler in like, gosh, 2 weeks?!
HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!!!!!1
You are so organized to have all of those great questions ready so early! I can't wait for bump pics!!!!!!!
Ms J - I did think of you when I wrote that. Not Chinese, don't worry!
Post a Comment