Wednesday, November 18, 2009

15 Weeks

I’m in uncharted territory.

Good things: I’m still kind of tired. I’m waiting for the second trimester energy to kick in, but I haven’t seen it yet. That’s fine with me. I don’t really mind lounging on the couch and not doing laundry. My house is getting messy, though. The boobs are barely hurting at all, but they are changing. I’ve got these blue veins that I can see and it grosses me out. I can only see them in the mirror. I spend a lot of time staring at various body parts in the mirror. I’m getting a little bigger. My abs feel like I’ve been doing sit-ups (as if I would know what that feels like).

Great things: I’ve read everywhere that these little flutters are not baby movements. Fine. I believe you. But they are something. I didn’t have this before pregnancy and I have a lot of gas problems. This is something else. Everyone on the birth boards is talking about them now. So this isn’t a kid kicking me. I’ll call it “Uterus flutters” and I’ll put it in the symptom column. However. There was something. Something completely and totally different than these little flutters. I was running all over the office and bending up and down and carrying plans all over the place and in a tizzy because of some work thing. When it all calmed down, I sat in my chair and took a deep breath. That was when something (I won’t say who or what) tapped me from the inside about 4 quick times. It was light like a fingertip and right down there where a baby lives. It was just that one time. I’m still not saying I felt baby movement… but I’m also not saying that I haven’t.

Bad things: I’ve lost my confidence from the appointment on Thursday. I’m not gaining weight. I still am the only person in my household that thinks I’m showing.

In normal life: I dropped off some blood for the CF doctor yesterday. They made a discovery about blood draws while I was sitting there (something about blood flow – I wasn’t watching). I felt cool to be helping them out.

I’ve heard so much about how once you’re past 14 weeks, your chance of miscarriage goes down again. Yeah? I thought it went down at 6 weeks… or 10 weeks… or at the 2nd trimester… This feeling will never go away. I know I’ll feel better once (if?) I can feel someone kicking my lungs. Come on time! Speed up!!!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Isn't it crazy how we want time to go faster??? Hope you get to feel your little one kicking soon!! What a great way to start helping you relax a bit.

LuckyOnce said...

I remember feeling my first real movement of my son(that I was SURE was movement) at 18 weeks. I'm told that thin people can sometimes feel movement earlier (and from your pic you look pretty thin) so you may be feeling the baby move. I wouldn't discount it. Odds are, you won't feel it again for a while (those first few flutters happen, and then I think it was a little while before movement became routine.) How exciting if that's what you're feeling though!

re: the "feeling more calm" thing, I don't think that exists for the miscarriage crowd. However, you SHOULD be out of the woods, for all intents and purposes, so I think it's about time you get to enjoy the pregnancy!!

Ms. J said...

I don't think anyone who has ever had a loss can ever shake the sense of pending doom just around the corner, truth be told. Your worry was earned in the cruelest of ways, and it's okay to fret about it on your blog as often as you need to. For what it's worth, my worry shifted after week 20, and now it's worse, cause if something goes bad now I am faced with delivering a baby that will not make it. I suppose I will not shift again until after week 30, and then worry about something different to worry about.

I think those taps you felt were indeed the baby. Mine feel a bit like "knocks" or "nudges". I also have the sensation of pending diarrhea many times (things moving around in my belly) and yet nothing comes out in the toilet - so I think that is baby movement, too, perhaps?!

I am so glad someone else fluctuates in their confidence levels on a daily (hourly?) basis along with me, hee hee ;o)

I used to have weeks (right around where you are) when some days I swore I looked pregnant in the mirror, and the next day I thought I looked LESS pregnant than the day prior. One day last week Dr. J and I both looked in the mirror and agreed that my belly was growing to my right side, and off-center. WTF?!

This whole thing is bizarre, I tell ya.

Kailyn's Mommy said...

Ok first off I am happy someone else has the sore abs! lol
I used to work out a lot before pregnancy. My abs never really got sore because I have worked them out for years. BUT since I have become PG I really haven't done anything but walking because I was so nauseous up until 2 weeks ago. (i also have not had that burst of energy that is supposed to happen with the 2nd trimester). Around 14-15 weeks I started feeling that soreness of the abs.
I haven't been lucky enough to feel any kicks yet. 17 weeks on Friday so I hope it's soon. I just noticed everything is really starting to grow this past week as I was the same way as you about being worried I was too small.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I felt little flutters around 16 weeks, and felt big fat kicks around 18. I think that it's entirely possible that it was something!

Oh, Cheryl, I understand. For what you've been through, there isn't a point at which you feel "calm" until you deliver full-term, I don't think! You're totally normal. :)