I always feel like I overreact and then I have a good appointment. If that's what it takes...
I can use my post from earlier today to help calm myself down next time. Fair warning - I'll probably do it again anyway!
This appointment was quick. We heard the heartbeat much quicker than last time. It still took a minute or two, but this doctor talked to me the whole time and kept me distracted. I liked that! I was too excited about hearing the heartbeat to remember what the number was... somewhere in the 150s. I'll ask M when he gets home. He's good with details.
I have my anatomy scan scheduled for 8 am on Dec 15th. I was going to ask to have it on my birthday (the 18th! 30! Holy crap!) but the scary bug whispered in my ear and told me not to ask for too much. So now I'm over the moon excited! We're not going to find out the gender but I'll do any kind of old-wives tale you can throw at me. I'll list them all sometime later.
I had some blood drawn for the quad screen so I can either totally calm down about the spina bifida or I can totally freak out. I'll wait to get results before I decide. The MTHFR does something to reduce how much folic acid I can absorb and I didn't take any until I was almost 5 weeks pregnant. I did drink some OJ every morning, but that's not enough to calm me down. Ah, there's always something...
M's cousin who had Cystic Fibrosis passed away on Friday. We weren't close to her and I'd only met her one time. She had just completed the process to get on the list for a lung transplant and the family was starting to get some hope. She had a bad day on Wednesday and went into the hospital for a minor surgery. After the surgery, she woke up and they told her she'd have to be on a ventilator to survive. She declined and died shortly after that. She had a hard life and we're happy she was able to make this decision, but it had to be a hard one. It really made me thankful to know our little one won't have to suffer like she did.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
My condolences to you family.
And I am so happy for a good appt! great news!!!
Oh, Cheryl, I'm SO very glad! Those kicks will get much more consistent in a few weeks as the baby gets bigger and it's more obvious that it's a kick/punch. I just about started crying at my desk - I'm so happy for you.
I'll be hoping that the quad test results come back soon - I'm sure everything is fine, but that's a wait that nobody likes to endure, and you've got so many more things on your plate than the average pregnant woman! I'm so sorry about M's cousin. As always, you're in my thoughts.
I think you and I will always have a worry obsession. Mine has been incompetent cervix.
Glad it went fabulous as usual & so sorry about your family's loss.
Wonderful news! So happy to hear about it. :)
I'm sorry about M's cousin.....
I'm glad you got a good heartbeat!!! Try not to worry about not having folic acid for 5 weeks. I'm sure your little one is fine!!! I didn't know I had MTHFR with my daughter, so I didn't take exta folic acid (besides a prenatal) the whole time. And she's fine!
PS. I read your timeline ... my hubby and I met in the dorms in August of 99, too! :)
I am sorry to hear about your cousin. But I am so very glad that the appt went went. I am voting for a girl based on the heartbeat wives' tale. :>
I know saying not to worry is pointless, but just remember that lots of foods have folic acid in them. Sure, we all need that boost,but I bet you ate more than you thought. Lots of cereals and pastas have been fortified to make sure all child bearing women have a little bit of protection.
You did the right things as soon as you knew, so don't beat yourself up!
And the little buddy seems to be doing great so far!
I'm sorry about M's cousin. It sounds like she had a tough fight.
Post a Comment